Your smartphone is not secure and the sooner you acknowledge this, the better. To ensure the safety of the sensitive data stored in your phone, including accounts, passwords, and credit card information, you need to install a Virtual Private Network.
As long as your phone is connected on the internet, you will be a potential target for data and identity theft. Unless you do something about it.
If you are an iPhone user, this is how you configure a VPN on your device.
Setting up a VPN on your iPhone
There are two ways in which you can do this. The first one is by downloading a VPN client from your app store and the second one is to do this yourself, manually. If you have no prior knowledge of VPNs or technology whatsoever, we advise you to go with the first one.
In order to protect your phone with a VPN app you need to do the following:
- Do a little research first, and choose a VPN that’s suitable for you and your needs.
- Open the Apple app store and find the VPN client. Then, download the app and open it.
Note: It’s possible that the VPN that you’ve chosen does not have an app for your iPhone. Nevertheless, all major and high-quality VPN service providers are compatible with almost every type of device.
- Sign up or sign in if you’ve already made an account. After doing this, you will need to give permission to add a VPN to your iPhone. To do this, simply click Allow.
- Open Settings > General > VPN. Here you will find your VPN client(s).
- If you have more than one VPN on your phone, you can choose which one to use by just clicking ‘switch on’. In the same manner, you can turn off the VPN as soon as you are done using it.
You won’t need to open the app, unless you want to change the settings, including the level of privacy or location.
For manually installing a VPN on your device, follow these steps:
- Launch Settings and go to General> VPN.
- Click on the Add VPN Configuration.
- The next thing is to decide on the type of the Configuration. On iPhones, you can choose from these three: IKEv2, IPSec, or L2TP. They all differ in speed, security, and overall performance. After selecting, click Add configuration. This will return you to the previous screen.
- Here you will see many things, but don’t let this confuse you. The next step is to enter the VPN information which includes Description (usually name of the provider), Server (location where you want to connect to), and Remote ID (depends on the provider). If you have trouble with this step, ask your VPN’s tech support for the additional help.
- The next thing is to enter your login credentials (which you need to create prior to this through the VPN’s official website). This includes your username/certificate and the password.
It’s up to you which method you are going to use. As long as you use a good and reliable VPN network, there is nothing to worry about. We advise you not to choose free VPNs, as they are rarely secure. Most of them leak your information, and this is something that you would want to avoid.
Instead, you can search for a VPN with free trials or good money-return policies. This way you will be able to try out the VPN, to see whether it actually keeps your IP hidden and how fast and reliable it really is. After the trial, you can decide if it’s the right option for you.
Why do you need a VPN for your iOS device?
Despite Apple’s security properties, your iPhone is not as protected as you might think. In comparison to other smartphones, the iOS certainly has its advantages. However, they are far from enough to keep you protected and secured.
As a matter of fact, as long as you are connected to the internet from your device, you are easily traceable and susceptible to many online threats. This means that people with bad intentions can take control over everything you store in your phone.
Think about it. We spend so much time on our phones, sharing and storing so many valuable information. Do you really want this to happen?
Of course not. And that is exactly one of the main reasons why people go for VPNs. These tools offer that extra security you need. A good VPN will encrypt your traffic and change (or mask) your real IP address. In other words, you will able to browse the internet, without worrying about your security. You can even use public Wi-Fi, as it will pose no threat as long as you are connected to your VPN server.
Another valuable reason why people decide on using a Virtual Private Network is the fact that this tool is excellent for unblocking geo-restricted content. With this, you will be able to access websites from all over the world, no matter where you are. Additionally, VPNs are excellent for unlimited downloads and uploads, they are a great companion to streaming, gaming and torrenting, and much more.
Overall, if you value your privacy and want to have an unlimited internet experience, purchasing a VPN for your device will turn out to be an excellent investment.
You can check our selection for the best iOS VPN services here. If you have any questions, feel free to use the comment section below.