Have you ever encountered a ‘bootmgr is missing’ prompt as soon as you start you computer? If yes, then you have come to the right place.
Many Windows users have encountered this situation before. Bootmgr missing doesn’t necessarily mean the data will be lost. It just indicates that the boot manager is missing.
Unlike the message of “UTLDR is missing” emerging in systems before Windows Vista, the prompt of “bootmgr is missing” emerges in the Windows systems after Windows Vista, such as Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. Luckily, there are several solutions to fix bootmgr and launch the computer again.
How to Fix Bootmgr Missing Error in Windows 7 and Server 2003/2008
1) Restart the computer – Users can always try to restart the computer and check if they are still getting the error.
2) Unplug all external device – Sometimes the “bootmgr is missing” happens when the computer is trying to boot from a non-bootable device, such as optical disk, floppy disk or an external drive if the boot setting has been modified. So, users can unplug all external devices, modify the boot setting again and restart the computer.
3) Reset active partition – The boot files are installed to the active partition of the booting drive automatically. If the wrong partition is set active, the bootmgr error will appear. Then, users should resort to a third-party partition manager to reset the active partition. Here is an image of resetting active partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard.
Select the partition which needs to be set active and click “Set Active” from the left panel. Then, click “Apply” to run the change.
4) Update the mainboard’s BIOS – If the BIOS is outdated, the bootmgr error may appear. Therefore, users can replace the old BIOS with a new one.
5) Reseat power cable – Bootmgr missing in Windows 7 and Server 2008 may be caused by loose or malfunctioning power or controller cable. Users can try to reseat them to check whether the cable issue has caused the bootmgr error.
These were 5 methods that you can try to use in order to fix the “bootmgr is missing” error. Do give it a try and let us know if your issue was fixed in the comment section below.